Saturday...Safe and Sound in Paradise Park at our Hacienda

Sunday, March 2, 2014

We got up at 5:15, I actually had a good sleep last night, I was out like a light, and didn't even hear any of the doors slamming. We were the first ones at the Hotel Breakfast at 6. They make you an omelette to order, or pancakes if you wish, as well as the regular fare that every hotel seems to have. I had a very good omelette and Katie had pancakes. The coffee was good as well.

We were on the road by 7, and there was a blanket of fog. It was not so bad where you would feel apprehensive, could still make things out about a quarter of a mile ahead. Regardless, it is not really pleasant driving. Traffic was a bit heavier than I would have thought, but that was the reason we left so early. When we got to Ft. Worth there was no fog at all...nice...but after getting out of Ft. Worth the fog was back again. The further we drove though, the fog was less of an issue.

Later on, I was passing a car in the left lane, and I saw a car in my rear view mirror coming up extremely quickly. Soon as I had a chance I pulled back into the right lane as I always do, and he went past me like I was standing still. I know a lot of people who might wish that he would get caught for going that fast, but it never seems to happen. But....shortly thereafter, there was a State Trooper pulling out, and pulling him over! Finally...you play with the bull, you get the horn!

Traffic was not bad and the Gps was showing a 5 minute delay as we started getting close to Austin. In the past we have driven right through Austin but that was on a Sunday morning. Round Rock where Ikea is, comes before Austin, and I thought it would still be a very busy area. Katie and I missed the exit to go onto the Austin bypass toll road which is highway 130, but I got off at the next exit. That led us to a few businesses on a side road and they were all closed, but we saw a young guy who was going to go into the local gun shop. He was wearing a holster with what looked to be a Glock. He kindly gave us good directions to get on 130, and we were especially nice to him considering he was "packing".

Didn't take us long to get on 130, and we were off again. 80MPH speed limit and very light traffic on this very nice divided highway. The Gps wanted us to get off at Buda which is the start of 130 on the way back home, but I saw a sign that said San Antonio, so I ignored the Gps and we kept driving. The Gps was trying to get us back on I35, and there is still plenty of traffic in that area.

Once the toll road came to an end (the tolls are a mail in system, cameras catch your plate # and they send you a bill...last year we never got one though...we would pay if they sent us one). The speed limit changed to 85MPH, first time I've ever seen that. We continued on, and came out on Interstate 10. A short drive on I10 and were were at 410 the bypass for San Antonio. Never came this way before but I liked it, as we missed all the traffic on I35.

Driving to Pharr after that was uneventful, and we got to our Mobile Home just before 4...28 C and overcast, but who cares? We unpacked everything, got cleaned up abit, and then stopped in to say hi to our friends Bonnie and Al. A few minutes later friends of Bonnie from Sturgeon Falls, Ont. where Bonnie and Al live now, stopped in. They had just returned from a month in Mazatlan, where they drove to. Now they are staying in Paradise Park for a month. They had lots of stories about Mazatlan.

Katie and I left and went to HEB, as we needed to stock up with groceries. $104 later without getting everything we need and we were out the door.

Back home and relaxation for the rest of the night. We're both pretty tired.

In case anyone is wondering gas prices were anywhere between $3.07 and $3.45 on the way. My Rav4 was pretty loaded with computer equipment, and gifts for the kids in Mexico, so the gas is about $250 US from Winnipeg.

and so ends another great day in the valley...

more later....


0 comments:

Post a Comment